Synergy is the idea that 1+1 = more than 2 (the sum is greater than its parts). This concept is fundamental to herbal medicine, where it is necessary to combine different herbs to enhance their overall action. At Fully Human, we believe anti-inflammation synergy is achieved through a blend of lifestyle, diet, exercise, and supplementation.
A Brief Note on Synergy
Synergy can be seen throughout the plant and animal kingdoms in both simple and profound ways. Consider the bees and the flowers: bees sip nectar from flowers that gets turned into honey, used as their food, and the flowers are in turn pollinated by the bees. On the African savannahs, oxpecker (turns out there are more kinds of peckers than just wood) birds hitch a ride on the backs of rhinoceroses, which provides parasitic control for the ungulate partner and a food source for the avian one. It is mutualism at its best.
And speaking of digestion, synergy even exists in the food we eat. Many phytonutrients in fruits and vegetables, such as the carotenoids that give yellow and red produce their vibrant color, are better absorbed when consumed with some dietary fat. Adding vitamin C helps the absorption of plant-based iron in foods like spinach or chickpeas. (Here’s a neat blog with more info on food synergies.)
In short, we are all in this together; no (wo)man is an island. The effects of synergy across society, throughout history and up and down the food chain are measurable and quantifiable.
Our first supplement, Freedom, was created with the primary goal of lowering inflammation levels in the body by shutting off inflammatory mediators throughout the body. We did this by formulating a blend of herbs to boost the healing potential through herbal synergy. Our formula contains the following synergistic ingredients:
- Cinnamon: helps moderate blood sugar, giving your body a boost in fighting inflammation, and supplying vital micro-antioxidants to your body.
- Bromelain: a protein enzyme mixture found in pineapples is a mild pain reliever and is a natural extended-release anti-inflammatory agent.
- Turmeric: a powerful antioxidant that helps your body end the negative effects of free radicals
- Devil’s Claw Root: an aggressive cytokine suppression agent, with mild pain-relieving effects.
- Boswellia Serrata: blocks the production of inflammatory molecules that attack joints, and may help reduce cartilage damage from arthritis.
- Ginger Root: benefits digestive health and improves circulation, helping optimize the absorption of other herbs in this formula, while also providing a quick boost of arthritis-fighting antioxidants.
- White Willow: soothing aromatic tree bark used for reducing stress and inflammation, also acts as a mild pain reliever.
- Cayenne: fast-acting, mild pain reliever, and stimulates enzyme production in the stomach, helping to optimize the absorption of other herbs in this formula.
- Black Pepper: helps the other herbs in the formula absorb deeper into cell membranes, boosting the other benefits.
Ultimately, we believe there is no cure-all for inflammation, instead there is a full suite of tools that when combined, create results far exceeding the sum of their parts.